Sunday, January 24, 2010

GEORGE TOOKER (1920 - 2011)

"I am after painting reality impressed on the mind so hard that it returns as a dream, but I am not after painting dreams as such, or fantasy."
Self-portrait



"Painting is an attempt to come to terms with life."









Woman With Oranges
1977, tempera on gesso panel, 23 1/2 x 17 1/2

Coney Island, 1947-48
Egg tempera on gesso panel, 19 x 26 in.
Curtis Galleries, Minneapolis, MN
"I wanted to paint positive pictures about integration," Tooker said. "And I didn't like the subway. I think it's obvious I didn't like ... a lot of things about living in the city."


Bathers
Embrace of Peace II, 1988
Egg tempera on gesso panel, 18 x 30 in.
Reis Private Collection

In the Summerhouse, 1958





George Tooker in his studio, 2009, photograph by Nina Keck

"I don't want too much attention. I never really wanted to be part of the New York scene."

George Tooker at 5 St. Luke's Place (With Paul Cadmus and Jared French in Mirror)


1 comment:

alura said...

"Subway"- profilul omului modern.

good job.

multumim, Magda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...