Friday, July 8, 2011

BILL VIOLA

When I saw a Viola video for the first time, it stroke me. I realized that I wanted to express the same thing. I haven't read anything from the numerous books and articles on his work. What I saw at his personages, was that lighting from within. There is so much more than we can see, the expression on the face of a person is not something physical, just the change of some muscles of the face, but an expression of something eternal in ourselves.
 "For the Persian poet Rumi, each human life is analogous to a bowl floating on the surface of an infinite ocean. As it moves along, it is slowly filling with the water around it. That's a metaphor for the acquisition of knowledge. When the water in the bowl finally reaches the same level as the water outside, there is no longer any need for the container, and it drops away as the inner water merges with the outside water. We call this the moment of death. That analogy returns to me over and over as a metaphor for ourselves." Bill Viola





2 comments:

kiko said...

¡¡Great article!! I give you a new: The first biography of american videoartist, Bill Viola, has appeared in Spain and is entitled "Viola on Video". The texts are written in Spanish and English by Frederick Utrera and has been published by four Spanish universities: King Juan Carlos, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Almería y Salamanca.

Anonymous said...

It isn´t a biography, is a reasoned catalogue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...